This site uses cookies. No personal data is stored. You can read how we use them in our cookies policy. Continuing on this site accepts their use. Thankyou.

Viewing website implies consent to set cookies on your computer. Full details Swaledale and Arkengarthdale Archaeology Group
Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number 1155775
SWAAG Honorary President:
Tim Laurie FSA

Another Search

Scroll Down the Record
 *****SWAAG_ID***** 563
 Date Entered 02/07/2012
 Updated on 29/08/2012
 Recorded by Will Swales
 Category Vernacular Record
 Record Type Geological HER
 Site Access Public Access Land
 Record Date 02/07/2012
 Location Height of Brownseat
 Civil Parish Grinton
 Brit. National Grid SE 050 948
 Altitude 460m
 Record Name Boundary stone at Height of Brownseat
 Record Description GRI-14 is boundary stone number 14 of the first 21 around Grinton Parish starting from Stolerston Stile and reaching as far as Gibbon Hill. It stands on the Grinton-Bolton watershed, on the Grinton side of a boundary wall. I’m grateful to Tim Gates for supplying a transcript of documentary evidence at The National Archives (E112/765 Ebor 189A) to show that this stone was erected in 1663 to determine the boundary between the estates of Sir Solomon Swale 1st baronet to the north and of Charles Paulet, who styled himself Charles, Lord St John, to the south. See also records 561, 562 and 564. The stone depicts the coats of arms of the two men on its north and south faces. Paulet had married the heiress to the Bolton estates and would later become the 1st Duke of Bolton
 Additional Notes On the north face of this stone is a blazon divided vertically, two-thirds and a third, combining the two coats of arms of Swale. In the larger right-hand portion are the three harts’ heads associated with Swale of Swale Hall, and on the left is the ‘bend nebulee’ (a wavy, diagonal band) associated with Swale of South Stainley, near Ripon, which was the baronet’s ancestral home. He had united the two estates when he purchased the lands of Swale Hall from his kinsman ‘old’ Solomon Swale in 1649. This stone and two others in this short series bear the only known depictions of these arms combined; the combination apparently defying the rules of heraldry. On the south face of the stone is another split blazon, this one showing the combined arms of Charles Paulet – three swords – and his wife Mary le Scrope – a simple ‘bend’ (straight-sided diagonal band). In this case the combination is an accepted convention to signify the marriage of two holders of arms.
 Image 1 ID 3130         Click image to enlarge
 Image 1 Description Grinton-Bolton boundary stone at Height of Brownseat - north face
 Image 2 ID 3131         Click image to enlarge
 Image 2 Description Grinton-Bolton boundary stone at Height of Brownseat - south face
PREV 20PREV 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 NEXTNEXT 20
Another Search