Close

This site uses cookies. No personal data is stored. You can read how we use them in our cookies policy. Continuing on this site accepts their use. Thankyou.

Viewing swaag.org website implies consent to set cookies on your computer. Full details Swaledale and Arkengarthdale Archaeology Group
Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number 1155775
SWAAG Honorary President:
Tim Laurie FSA

Another Search

Scroll Down the Record
 *****SWAAG_ID***** 325
 Date Entered 11/11/2011
 Updated on 25/11/2011
 Recorded by Tim Laurie
 Category Mining Related
 Record Type Mining
 Site Access Public Access Land
 Record Date 02/07/2011
 Location Great Sleddale. Lane End Mine.
 Civil Parish Muker
 Brit. National Grid NY 8553 0082
 Altitude 372m
 Geology Ten fathom Grit. Mineralised fault.
 Record Name MUK001 Great Sleddale. Lane End Mine.
 Record Description For a full description of the Lane End Mine and the faulted, mineralised strata here, see BGS Geoloogy of the North Pennine Orefield. Vol 2 Stainmore to Craven,Chapter 9, page 122.

Please see records 108 and 342 as well.
 Dimensions See photos
 Additional Notes The open shaft (45 or 50 fathoms deep by 1801, Raistrick and Jennings 1965)is covered by a number of large diameter cast iron spigot and socket pipes. These pipes may be associated with a 80 bhp steam engine driven pump dewatering system which worked here for ten years from 1828.

Additional Information from Alan Mills:
Arthur Raistrick in "The lead industry of Wensleydale & Swaledale - vol 1" notes, p45, that by 1753 two mines were being opened at High and Low Birkdale; he suggests that the latter was probably Lane End Mine, also known as Loanin End Mine. This mine is described well in Mike Gill's "Swaledale its Mines & Smelt Mills", p32ff. In summary he states that Lane End Mine was leased by Thos. Butson & Co. in 1801 for 21 years at £20pa and 1/6th duty. They sank the New Engine Shaft 50 fathoms, 300ft, deep. This would have reached down to the Main Limestone, or close to. The beds at this level were flooded so the mine was pumped by a waterwheel; however it was not powerful enough and the mine closed in 1815. Henry Jackson and Co. leased the mine in 1829 and installed an 80hp engine.
At the present time the open shaft is covered by a number of large diameter cast iron spigot and socket pipes. These pipes may be associated with this engine driven pump dewatering system which worked here for ten years. The mine was probably too wet, for Jackson & Co. gave it up in 1839. It does not seem to have been worked since.

Note that additional pictures may be found in record 108.
 Image 1 ID 1204         Click image to enlarge
 Image 1 Description Lane End Mine
 Image 2 ID 1205         Click image to enlarge
 Image 2 Description 
 Image 3 ID 1206         Click image to enlarge
 Image 3 Description 
 Image 4 ID 1207         Click image to enlarge
 Image 4 Description 
 Image 5 ID 1208         Click image to enlarge
 Image 5 Description 
 Image 6 ID 1209         Click image to enlarge
 Image 6 Description 
 Image 7 ID 1210         Click image to enlarge
 Image 7 Description 
 Image 8 ID 1211         Click image to enlarge
 Image 8 Description 
PREV 20PREV 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 NEXTNEXT 20
Another Search