Close

This site uses cookies. No personal data is stored. You can read how we use them in our cookies policy. Continuing on this site accepts their use. Thankyou.

Viewing swaag.org website implies consent to set cookies on your computer. Full details Swaledale and Arkengarthdale Archaeology Group
Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number 1155775
SWAAG Honorary President:
Tim Laurie FSA

Another Search

Scroll Down the Record
 *****SWAAG_ID***** 556
 Date Entered 30/06/2012
 Updated on 29/08/2012
 Recorded by Will Swales
 Category Vernacular Record
 Record Type General HER
 Site Access Private
 Record Date 30/06/2012
 Location Stolerston Stile
 Civil Parish Grinton
 Brit. National Grid SE 059 976
 Altitude 215
 Record Name Boundary stone at Stolerston Stile
 Record Description GRI-1 – boundary stone number one of the first 21 around Grinton Parish starting from Stolerston Stile and reaching as far as Gibbon Hill. GRI-1 is on the Grinton side of a high wall and is marked on the OS map as Stolerston Stile. It is inscribed S and ED, and therefore appears to have been erected to mark the boundary between the estates of the Erle-Drax family of Ellerton Abbey and presumably someone whose surname began S, who held the land on the Grinton side of the line. Ellerton Abbey estate was held by people with the surname Erle-Drax from 1755 when it was inherited by Thomas Erle-Drax, the eldest son of Henry Drax and Elizabeth Ernle, heiress to the Erle family estate in Charborough, Dorset. The last person called Erle-Drax to hold Ellerton Abbey, John, died in 1887 leaving the estate to his son Richard, who adopted the splendidly quadruple-barrelled surname Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, but called himself Richard Drax for short. Suggestions for the surname beginning S are invited.
 Additional Notes â€œFrom Hollow Mill Cross to Stollerstone Stile, the extent of Swaledale is twenty long mile”, so goes the folk rhyme to describe the old lordship of Swaledale. The earliest known record quoting these west-east extremities of the boundaries is dated c.1538. There are later references that claim the boundaries were originally defined in a now-lost charter by Gilbert de Gant on inheriting the lordship of Swaledale from his father Walter in 1139 (Stephen Walker: Nine Standards, 2008, p58-59 and p130; and www.ninestandards.eu).
 Image 1 ID 3119         Click image to enlarge
 Image 1 Description Boundary stone at Stolerston Stile
PREV 20PREV 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 NEXTNEXT 20
Another Search