This site uses cookies. No personal data is stored. You can read how we use them in our cookies policy. Continuing on this site accepts their use. Thankyou.

Viewing website implies consent to set cookies on your computer. Full details Swaledale and Arkengarthdale Archaeology Group
Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number 1155775
SWAAG Honorary President:
Tim Laurie FSA

Another Search

Scroll Down the Record
 *****SWAAG_ID***** 851
 Date Entered 23/02/2015
 Updated on 23/02/2015
 Recorded by Alan and Judith Mills
 Category Mining Related
 Record Type Mining
 Site Access Public Access Land
 Record Date 23/02/2015
 Location In the mining area to the south of the Grinton - Leyburn road
 Civil Parish Grinton
 Brit. National Grid SE 05887 95993
 Altitude 1372ft
 Record Name Mining remains on Ellerton Moor
 Record Description Our attention was drawn recently to correspondence identifying 'old houses' and an open mine shaft on Ellerton Moor. On investigation the old building is firmly located within a line of shafts running approximately north-south on the Wellington Vein. It is the remains of a 4-cell building with a small walled enclosure to the north, suggesting that part of the building at least might have been domestic. There is a significant amount of clinker and ash in the small heap to the front (north) of the larger of the 4 cells suggesting that it might have been a smithy associated with the mining.

Two pieces of salt-glazed stoneware pottery, greenish-grey glaze, grey fabric, were found in the spoil adjacent to the building, dug up by rabbits. These are probably 18th / 19th century.

There is a large shaft in the location referred to in the correspondence but, as one would expect in an area grazed by sheep, it is no longer open.

The line of shafts in which the building is located is in the mining area which was controlled by the Drax family. The boundary of the Drax land lies a little to the south of building and is indicated by a standing boundary stone, engraved E D, presumed to be Edward Drax (ca.1726 - 1791).
 Image 1 ID 6080         Click image to enlarge
 Image 1 Description The ruins of the 4-cell building, with one or two people in each cell. The remains of the enclosure wall can be seen beyond the building. The building is located at SE 05887 95993
 Image 2 ID 6081         Click image to enlarge
 Image 2 Description The ruins of the building, looking NW, at what is presumed to have been the smithy in the foreground.
 Image 3 ID 6082         Click image to enlarge
 Image 3 Description The ruins of the building, looking south, with the spoil containing the clinker and ash in the foreground.
 Image 4 ID 6083         Click image to enlarge
 Image 4 Description Standing at SE 05727 95925 looking north to the ruined building on the near horizon.
 Image 5 ID 6086         Click image to enlarge
 Image 5 Description The boundary stone at SE 05644 95902. See also SWAAG database entry 390 for more on similar boundary stones.
 Image 6 ID 6087         Click image to enlarge
 Image 6 Description A close up of the boundary stone.
PREV 20121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 NEXTNEXT 20
Another Search